You knew it was coming. In a span of months that had seen some of the best Penguins fortunes in recent memory, the downer had to be on it's way, right? Well that downer is here. Ryan Whitney is having surgery on his left foot, according to the Trib. The surgery's purpose was to fix an alignment issue from within the structure of the foot.
This could mean many things for the Pens. The most likely outcome of this is that Daryl Sydor stays on board with the Penguins, and becomes the sixth defenseman until Whitney gets back. Another possibility is a training camp tryout of a young player, or a trade, but both of those options seem very unlikely at this point.
The only other outcome I see realistically happening is that the organization uses Alex Goligoski as the sixth defenseman, but even still, I think Sydor will be the man.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah, Gogo is good but Sydor gets the start. I agree with you competely on that. Wow ... I'm impressed. I haven't always been happy w/ his play but it explains a lot, but he said it was no excuse for his performance this season. I applaud him for not making it an excuse. And his performance in Game 5 makes me proud of him even more. I don't think he should have waited so long to do anything about the injury considering he had it since 07 Playoffs but what's done is done.
Some people just lost a scapegoat which makes me happy because he's gonna be our new Gonchar, but I don't think anyone should be the scapegoat. They win and lose as a team.
I'm personally hoping for Sydor, Kaspar. I just think, at least for now, he's the best player there.
He gets a bad rap, all for being a very reliable defensive defenseman. People just want goals goals goals these days, and when they don't get it, they get testy.
I think he's a quality player, and I'd just like to see him in there. Wouldn't mind seeing Scuderi either.
No need to rush Gogo just because of an injury. We can take as much time as we want to with him.
Oh yeah, no I agree with you. I get agitated with Sydor sometimes but he's talented. He wouldn't have won a Stanley if he wasn't.
Gogo needs to bulk up anyways and get better at his position. Not saying he's bad, but he's young, he has time, and he does need to work on his power.
I almost forgot about the amount of D-man we actually have. He should be brought up only if we really need him. The pairings are going to change and if one d-man plays really well when Whit comes back. I wonder if HCMT will be able to transition like he did with Flower and Conks.
Post a Comment