Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Possible Targets In Free Agency

In addition to the pole at top right, I have compiled a little shopping list of sorts consisting of possible players to fill in as top six wingers, playing beside Crosby and Malkin.   Keep in mind that the Pens could use players from within in some spots as well, namely Max Talbot on Crosby's left wing, but they will need to sign some players.  So here we go.  

Cory Stillman/Ottawa- A quality player who can give you top six minutes, and has done so in the past.  Stillman does have Stanley Cups to his resume, provides veteran leadership, and has proven a solid team player and goal scorer.  [Player Page]

Radim Vrbata/Nashville- Vrbata is a reliable player who is somewhat of a stranger to playing with superior playmakers like Crosby and Malkin.  He has still put up respectable numbers consistently over his career.  He is a defensive presence as well, making him even more attractive.  [Player Page]

Markus Naslund/Vancouver- Naslund has said in the past that he would enjoy playing with the likes of 87, and he has shown to be a fantastic talent, leader, and all around player.  Could the ghost of Alex Stojanov finally be put to rest?  We shall soon see.  If Naslund can be had for three million dollars or less, he should be brought in.  [Player Page]

Kristian Huselius/Calgary- A slick puck handler with some nice dangles in the bag, a good wrister, and solid speed.  His only downfall is his consistency, or lack thereof, and that poses as a question mark.  No doubt he has the skill, and he could tear it up with the Pens.  

Michael Ryder/Montreal-  He is very similar to Huselius, in that he's a skill guy who has proven a good shooter with good speed, but his inconsistency is to a greater degree than maybe any other player in the NHL.  He is a question mark at best.  [Player Page]

Jaromir Jagr/NY Rangers- He doesn't really need a description, but I'll write one anyways.  A super player who can score, skate, and still be a star in the NHL even in his old age.  I would love little more than to see JJ back here next season.  [Player Page]

Miroslav Satan/NY Islanders- Has shown flashes (and contracts) of being a top tier player in the league, but he has underachieved all along, is a cancer in the dressing room, cares more about himself than the team, and is rather greedy.  [Player Page]

Marty Sraka/NY Rangers- Was great for the Pens 7 years ago, but appears to have already passed his best days.  He is a solid player, but I'm not sure he could do anything much, even on a line with great passers like Sid and Geno.  Still though, a great defensive presence.  [Player Page]

Sean Avery/NY Rangers-  I hate this guy, but I'd love him on the Pens.  A menacing forward, though sometimes crossing the line, who can shoot, score, and do most things on the ice very well.  The only issue is how the other players would react to him being there.  [Player Page]

Ruslan Fedetenko/NY Islanders- He has also shown that, surrounded by talent, he can put the biscuit in the basket.  "Feds" turned in a clutch performance in Game 7 of the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals, scoring Tampa's two goals in a 2-1 win over Calgary to claim hockey's holy grail.  Suffered on a dismal Isles squad last year.  [Player Page]

Niklas Hagman/Dallas- Was a disappointment to an extent in his first few seasons, but broke out last year playing with Morrow and Richards in Big D.  Hagman scored 27 goals, some clutch ones, and exemplified agility and good playmaking ability at times.  [Player Page]



And Hossa.

6 comments:

Regina Dunlop said...

First, I'd like to say I would probably go on a crazy rampage if Sean Avery came onto our team ... the word ass doesn't even begin to describe him. Plus, he is hated by his teammates, he'd destroy every bit of chemistry the team had.

On Jagr: Love him (still ... shhh, tell no one), but I don't see his return. I'll probably end up wrong because Shero is a beast but whatev.

Straka: Still love but he is a bit past his prime. I don't doubt his greatness but having him on the team might be like Recchi without the constant whining.

Naslund: Can he come back, please? I love Naslund ... I loved him here and Vancouver, and will love him where ever he goes. Something tells me Shero's gonna try this, but I'm not how successful it will be considering the cap and other players Shero is trying to keep. Still Naslund could provide the character player needed after the departure of a certain #10 ...

Vrbata: I like him. He's a solid player and seems to have a great defensive edge. I'm not sure if he's coming here though.

If I think anyone is coming here, Ryder is my bet (but I don't gamble so my bets are worthless) ... He's very solid and I love his skill level. I pick him as most likely to join ...

The Big K said...

Yeah Kaspar I hate Avery too.
But I think he could help out, and that's all.

Jagr won't likely come here either, but it'd be cool.

Naslund is the one I want most.

Regina Dunlop said...

@BigK: I'm not sure how much he would help out, though. He might get in people's faces and fight, but it might cost us in the locker room chemistry. These guys get along way too well to introduce Mr. Vogue ... Also, he's asking for as much or possibly more money than Malone. Keep Malone, keep the guy who was given "The Player's Player" award, don't ditch him for a jag-off who won't produce the same kinda results.

J.RUUTU37 said...

I'd rather see the Pens sign Left-Winger Brian Rolston. Currently, I think he has the best value of any other UFA wingers. He has scored 30+ goals for the Wild in his last 3 seasons. He'd be a great replacement in the absence of Ryan Malone.

Another player I see of great value is Left-Winger Ladislav Nagy. He is only 29 years old and will turn 30 on June 1. He has great talent but has been injury prone in recent years (38 GP in 07/08 and 25 GP in 06/07) He shouldn't cost too much since he hasn't put up good #'s since he has played so few games. He also has played for a really sucky team in the Kings. If he played next to some skilled talent and was healthy for the entire season I easily see him scoring 25 goals possibly 30-35 goals and a +/- around a +10.

The Big K said...

Ruuts I'd love Rolston, but I don't think he's leaving Minny. I left out a few names, if you want to add a few more, feel free.

The Big K said...

Sorry forgot, Nagy would be sick to have.